20. October 2010 13:31
From time to time we get asked the question " Why do we use SQL Express rather than full SQL Server for our databases ? "
Well to be honest its a valid question and one that has many answers - in short however there are a few main reasons.
1) SQL Express is free of charge as opposed to its bigger brothers and sisters - therefore making it the preferred choice for most websites. The bottom line is that if your website needs a bigger database then quite frankly you should be getting the traffic that will give you the financial muscle to purchase a larger database.
2) We develop using microsoft technologies and we can interact between SQL & Visual studio seamlessly - avoiding those large numbers of open windows and third party programs that are just annoying. In short it is a more efficient build for us to use Microsoft Technologies.
3) There is a limit to the data storage capacity of 4GB but in reality this is ample for most websites. Only the larger Ecommerce sites will need more than this but again we can migrate to the larger engine when required - keeping startup costs low for the customer.
4) Again there is a limit to the number of CPUs that Express Edition can use on a server but again for most websites this is not an issue.
5) The reality is that if we feel you need a larger database based on previous traffic reports for your website or expected traffic then we are more than happy to put you onto a full copy of SQL Server.
6) Later you can upgrade it easily to standard/enterprise edition and take advantage of features like Replication, Mirroring, Log Shipping, Clustering, Database Partioning, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS.
7) We also have extensive experience in MS Access and MYSQL so if you have a query about these other databases we are more than happy to offer advice.